Course/Programme: BA (Hons) Business Studies with Foundation
Foundation Year 0 (Level 0)
Year 2 Level 4
Year 3 Level 5
Year 4 Level 6 Foundation Year 0 (Level 0)
Module Title: Introduction to Information Technology
Module Leader: Chandranna Rayadurg
Assignment title: Introduction to Information Technology
Assignment number: 1
Weighting: 100% of overall module grade
Date given out: March 2021
Submission date: 1st June 2021
For late submission, please check CCCU Taught regulation (page 28 on late submission) and Extenuating Policy: CCCU Taught regulation
CCCU Extenuating Circumstances Policy
Method of submission: X Online only Online and paper copy
Special instructions for submission (if any):
Date for results and feedback
(please note the final grade is subject to the main CCCU assessment Board)
Learning outcomes assessed: LO1-Understand and use frequently used Computing terminologies
LO2-Understand ethical and social issues associated with Technology
LO3-Appreciate the growth in ICT and use of the Internet and its effects on business
LO4-Understand the role of Information Technology in Management
The penalty to be applied to late course work, which will include course work where the work is graded on a pass/fail basis and it is possible to give a numerical mark, will be 5 per cent (of the eligible marks) per day, for up to seven days, after which a mark of 0 will be recorded.
Information technology (IT), its applications and services to businesses in the business world are an essential requirement to survive and succeed. IT has an important role in all walks of life. IT increases productivity of a company with efficiency of saving effort, time and money.
Select an organisation in the retail sector, for example supermarkets and conduct desk and/or Internet research on the organisation, together with an analysis of relevant academic books and journals to:
• Discuss the classification of computers with at least one example for each.
• Information Technology is extremely important for businesses to be efficient and provide good customer service. Discuss the impact of IT in a business with advantages and challenges.
• Discuss ethical and social issues and their impact on businesses.
• Identify and discuss the growth and impact of Internet on businesses.
Support your analysis with a discussion of the potential benefits and drawbacks of your chosen company investing in Information Technology.
Ensure that the report has the following structure and contains the details outlined:
• Title Page
• Table of contents
• Literature review
• Analysis and discussion
• Reference List
Formatting and Report
Please note the following when completing your written assignment:
1. Writing: Written in English in an appropriate business/academic style
2. Focus: Focus only on the tasks set in the assignment.
3. Document format:
4. Ensure a clear title, course, and name or ID number is on a cover sheet and a reference using Harvard referencing throughout is also provided.
5. Research: Research should use reliable and relevant sources of information e.g. academic books and journals that have been peer reviewed. The research should be extensive.
The use of a range of information sources is expected – academic books, peer reviewed journal articles, professional articles, press releases and newspaper articles, reliable statistics, company annual reports and other company information. All referencing should be in Harvard style.
Please refer to CCCU General Assessment Grading Criteria and rubric
• Level 4
• Level 5
• Level 6