ITC571 – Emerging Technologies and Innovation
Instructions: Please remove all text that is between “ ” and “ ”
Add Project Title here
Put a picture here if you want to
Name: your name here
Student Number: your student number here
You have previously written a short and brief literature review in the proposal. This comprehensive one is the literature review that describes and evaluates the research articles you have read in the specific topic of your interest.
It also includes a critical analysis of the relationship among different works. Therefore, you need to relate them to your work.
Your Annotated Bibliography should be between 1600 - 2500 words and have the following sections:
Length: approx. 200 words
Give a brief overview of these document in a paragraph. You need to include the following sections (no citations):
2. Summary of the findings in the literature review
Length: 100 – 300 words (You need to use enough citations to support your statements)
What are the major research questions that your project will address? (3 - 6)
Please explain each listed question.
They should be consequent to the research topic and as specific as the topic. It is recommended to avoid very general questions about the topic technology, technique, or domain.
Length: 200 – 300 words (You need to use enough citations to support your statements). Describe the field of research and show your reader how you will organise your research (in sections with headings). Write your 6 blocks, using the following guide: [Please do not discuss paper by paper]
1. Think of this as an extended introduction. Organise the 6 reviewed blocks extracting the important components of your research topic (depending on what is important for you) – you may have noticed categories some research papers fall into.
• By technology
• By results
2. Check all papers to see what you can describe together.
3. Describe the research by
• What did they do?
• How did they do it?
• What technology did they use?
4. Evaluate the contribution the work makes to the field
• Why is this work important?
• How does it differ from other work?
5. Show the limitations of the research
• What did the researchers identify as limitations?
• What you think you know about this topic now
• What you can identify if those articles have not done something
• The gaps and limitations that are justified for this research
• How the research is valuable for your project (link it to your research questions).
7. Identify relationships among studies in the same group/block:
• Note relationships among studies (i.e. this work achieved higher accuracy than other studies using the ROTTO algorithm because …).
• Identify important studies (landmark studies) that led to subsequent studies in the same area.
8. Keep your review focused on your topic: make sure that the articles you have found are relevant and directly related to your topic.
9. If you include tables, diagrams, flowcharts or formulas as part of your review, each of them should be given a figure/ table number and that number must be cited in the main text with a detailed explanation (below the figure).
Length: 100 – 200 words (No Citations)
Summarise the key findings from the literature review
Please note that you need to add all 30-35 references you have collected in your weekly submissions and the other additional references you are appending for each block. That means you should have a reference list of more than 30.
Please do the citation of all these papers in the main document (mindful of the comments on referencing above).
• List the resources in APA 7 style
o Do not forget alphabetical order
o Do not forget the naming style
o Any resource should have a publication year
o Do not forget to manage articles with similar last name of the first author
o Check for any wrong duplicated resources in the list
o Check all references in the list are cited in the text and vice versa
o Check the in-text citations to be in proper format and proper place
• It is recommended to use reference management software
• Check the list before submission. A common problem is incorrect or incomplete bibliographical data.
Start each of your appendices on separate pages; number them with capital letters A, B, C …
Pointers for Success
• Make sure there are no orphaned headers (headings by themselves at the bottom of the page).
• Make sure all pictures have captions under them (See Figure 1).
• Ensure pictures are referred to in the text.
• Ensure all Tables have captions (see Table 1) and ensure they are referred to in your text.
• Ensure all images sources from elsewhere are properly referenced.
• Ensure you use APA 7 referencing style.
• Ensure all work is written in your own words and all ideas are referenced back to the original author.
• NOTE: Please use the “Grammar Check” link in the left side bar in Interact2 to check the grammar of your final report before submitting it.
• Critical analysis and writing are very important
Sample review group (see below for codes A – H)
Convolution Neural Networks (CNN)
[A] Convolutional neural networks (CNN) have been used to achieve a more fine-grained analysis in a range of research works. They are generally effective for smaller corpora (Hadad et al., 2016; Colton et al., 2015). However, processing a large corpus is still computationally expensive due to the high processing time. [B] To overcome this, Abasir et al. (2017) used CNN to train a Natural Language Processing (NLP) system creating a RoTT1 algorithm to reduce the training time of a large corpus by several seconds. [C] Lowering training time is important since it lowers computational cost [D] and even though the improvement was not of magnitude, no other group of researchers has been able to achieve this. It points to the fact that the RoTT1 algorithm has potential. [E] In addition to the size of the decrease, the researchers identified as limitation that the overall impact of this reduction is minimal as the data preparation time increased significantly, offsetting the time gains from training. [F] Despite these issues which require further research, the RoTT1 algorithm developed by the researchers is still of interest to the proposed work as it has proven to reduce processing time which is one of the aims of this research. [G] The RoTT1 algorithm has since also been used by other researchers. An algorithm based on similar principles and CNN were also the basis of an object detection system by Compten and Wells (2018). However, although this adaptation of RoTT1 is interesting, it is field-specific, and the concept may not be suitable for adaptation because the development of a new algorithm is not the focus of this work. It is, therefore, of no further interest. [H] However, of considerable value for our work is the research by Blander et al (2019) which focused on [A] compression of corpora by … Blander at a l (2019) used a multi-layer CNN with the aim adding layers that would sort and condense the corpus
Article adapted for educational purposes from Ho et al. (2018) with permission of the authors.
[A] State the special area this paper is based on [get additional references from general research or from the paper you have reviewed but not used].
[B] Introduce the work you want to discuss and what they did.
[C] Tell your reader why their work is important.
[D] Draw a comparison about this work with existing research.
[E] The limitations the researchers identified themselves.
[F] State why this work is of value to your own research
[G] How has research been used in the field?
[H] Create a link to the next valuable piece of research (i.e. one of the 12) in the same category.