Develop a security Infrastructure for a Medium-Size Network
This assessment item relates to the unit learning outcomes as in the unit descriptor. This assessment is designed to evaluate student’s ability on working with the routers, firewalls and VPN tunnels and adopting those technologies in enterprise level networks.
The following ULOs are assessed in this assent assessment.
LO 1 Explain network security issues and develop a comprehensive network security policy to counter threats against information security
LO 2 Analyse and configure routers on the network perimeter with router software security features
LO 3 Evaluate and configure firewall protocols and features to perform basic security operations on a network
LO 4 Critically review the enterprise network requirements and configure site-to-site virtual private networks using standard router software features
LO 5 Analyse the enterprise security requirements and configure intrusion prevention systems on network routers
LO 6 Monitor network traffic and implement security policies to control access, resist attacks, and protect network devices
These instructions apply to Assignment
Assignment (Weightage 20%) – The report should be uploaded on the LMS by Session 12 Demonstration: Due on Lesson 12 in class
This Assignment will focus on student’s ability to work on an enterprise level network and handle network devices. Upon the implementation of the network, student should produce a comprehensive report, which includes screenshots of entering configuration commands and brief explanation of the screenshots. The devices should be named with the respective student ID
If any third-party content is used. The citation of sources is mandatory and should follow IEEE style.
What to Submit.
Submit your report to the Moodle drop-box for Assignment. Note that incidents of plagiarism will be penalized.
Please Note: All work is due by the due date and time. Late submissions will be penalized at the rate of 10% per day including weekends.
Figure 1: Network Topology
Note: Integrated Services Routers (ISR) have Fast Ethernet interfaces instead of Gigabit Ethernet interfaces.
Device Interface IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Switch Port
R1-S0000 F0/0 220.127.116.11 255.255.255.248 N/A ASA G0/0
S0/0 (DCE) 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.252 N/A N/A
Loopback 1 172.20.1.1 255.255.255.0 N/A N/A
R2-S0000 S0/0 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.252 N/A N/A
S0/1 (DCE) 10.2.2.2 255.255.255.252 N/A N/A
R3-S0000 F0/1 172.16.3.1 255.255.255.0 N/A S3 G0/0
S0/0 10.2.2.1 255.255.255.252 N/A N/A
S1-S0000 VLAN 1 192.168.2.11 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.1 N/A
S2-S0000 VLAN 1 192.168.1.11 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 N/A
S3-S0000 VLAN 1 172.16.3.11 255.255.255.0 172.16.3.1 N/A
ASA VLAN 1 (G0/1) 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 N/A S2 G0/0
VLAN 2 (G0/0) 18.104.22.168 255.255.255.248 N/A R1 F0/0
VLAN 3 (G0/2) 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0 N/A S1 G0/0
PC-A NIC 192.168.2.3 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.1 S1 G0/1
PC-B NIC 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 S2 G0/1
PC-C NIC 172.16.3.3 255.255.255.0 172.16.3.1 S3 G0/1
In this Assignment you are required to complete all the following parts:
Task 1: Configure Basic Device Settings:
• Configure host names as shown in the topology plus your student ID.
• Configure interface IP addresses as shown in the IP Addressing Table.
• Configure static and dynamic routing
Task 2: Configure Secure Router Administrative Access
• Configure encrypted passwords and a login banner.
• Configure the EXEC timeout value on console and VTY lines.
• Configure login failure rates and VTY login enhancements.
• Configure Secure Shell (SSH) access and disable Telnet.
• Configure local authentication, authorization, and accounting (AAA) user authentication.
• Secure the router against login attacks and secure the IOS image and the configuration file.
• Configure a router NTP server and router NTP clients.
• Configure router syslog reporting and a syslog server on a local host.
Task 3: Configure a Zone-Based Policy Firewall and Intrusion Prevention System
• Configure a Zone-Based Policy Firewall (ZPF) on an R3 using the CLI.
• Configure an intrusion prevention system (IPS) on an R3 using the CLI.
Task 4: Secure Network Switches
• Configure passwords and a login banner.
• Configure management VLAN access.
• Secure access ports.
• Protect against Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) attacks.
• Configure port security and disable unused ports.
Task 5: Configure ASA Basic Settings and Firewall
• Configure basic settings, passwords, date, and time.
• Configure the inside and outside VLAN interfaces.
• Configure port address translation (PAT) for the inside network.
• Configure a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server for the inside network.
• Configure administrative access via Telnet and SSH.
• Configure a static default route for the Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA).
• Configure Local AAA user authentication.
• Configure a DMZ with a static NAT and ACL.
• Verify address translation and firewall functionality.
Upon Completion of the above configuration tasks, you have been asked to draft a Policy on using of VPN by telecommuters. The policy should include the following sections:
1. Objectives 3. Audience 5. Exceptions
2. Purpose 4. Policy 6. Violations
NOTE: To complete the Assignment, refer to Assignment Supplementary Document.
Marking Guide: 100 Marks
Please note that the Assignment will contribute towards 20% of the final grade.
Task Description Marks
Final Report 80
Report Layout The report style, language and structure should be appropriate. All screenshots and descriptions need to be compiled and in a single final report and any given suggestions need to be incorporated.
The report must contain
i. Cover page with Unit Code, Unit Name and Student ID
ii. Table of Contents
iii. Introduction iv. Technical Discussion
v. Policy Document on using of VPN by telecommuters
vi. Critical Analysis vii. Conclusion 5
Introduction The introduction should include purpose of the report, sections covered which should convince the reader that the report is worth reading. Word count limit - 125 words 5
Technical This section should include the configurations done in the virtualized 50
network environment. You should break down this section into eight tasks and include at least 6 screen shots from each of these tasks and a brief description
i. Task 1: Configure Basic Device Settings:
ii. Task 2: Configure Secure Router Administrative Access 10
iii. Task 3: Configure a Zone-Based Policy Firewall and Intrusion 10
Prevention System iv. Task 4: Secure Network Switches
v. Task 5: Configure ASA Basic Settings and Firewall 10
Policy Document on using of VPN by
telecommuters The policy should comprehensively cover all the aspects related to connecting to an enterprise network by a telecommuter 10
Critical Analysis The students are required to provide a critical analysis of the deployed network considering:
a) Confidentiality 10
Conclusion Summarize your findings. Word count limit - 125 words 4
References Should follow IEEE style. 2
demonstration – 10 mins The students are required to demonstrate in class, during Lesson 12