Purpose of this Assessment task
This assessment task is designed to test your skills in building and sustaining an innovative work environment as required by the unit BSBINN502 Build and sustain an innovative work environment. Your trainer/assessor will be assessing your work and provide you with constructive feedback on Canvas. This task will assess your skills to:
• Lead innovation by example
• Establish work practices that support innovation
• Promote innovation
• Create a physical environment which supports innovation
• Provide learning opportunities.
In this assessment you will analyse the provided simulated scenario, undertake research in the topics presented, conduct 1 presentation to demonstrate your skills and provide report to your Trainer. By successfully completing this Report you will provide the required performance evidence of your competence in building and sustaining an innovative work environment.
What are you required to do to undertake this Case Study?
You should carefully read the provided documents of Bounce Fitness and undertake all questions. The task includes: (i) Analysing the case (ii) Undertaking required research (iii) Presentation and (iv) Reporting.
To successfully undertake this assessment, you should be doing the following:
• Read the provided scenario and Bounce Fitness additional Resources couple of times and understand its requirements
• Clarify the requirements with your trainer and assessor, if you are not sure
• Research appropriate websites as directed by your trainer/assessor
• Self-reflect and practice the presentation before you record it and upload them on Canvas
• Discuss with your trainer/assessor the contents of the report you will be presenting.
Context and conditions of undertaking the tasks?
The prescribed tasks will be undertaken by you after carefully analysing the scenario. Your trainer/assessor will provide you a context to present the scenario. Your trainer will also provide you guidance on the websites to be researched. Your trainer/assessor may also set certain conditions under which you will perform the tasks required by this assessment. For example, your trainer may set a time limit to perform a task or, ask you to repeat a task or, ask you to give additional information about the performance by asking you some verbal questions or, they may prescribe you some new conditions to undertake certain tasks.
Given your personal conditions, your trainer/assessor should also be able to make some reasonable adjustments in undertaking the tasks of this assessment. You should check with your trainer/assessor about the conditions under which the tasks should be completed, and the possible adjustment they can make in undertaking these tasks.
What specific WHS requirements may be involved?
This assessment will require you to be aware of the standard Workplace Health and Safety requirements e.g. Workplace Health and Safety Act and Workplace Health and Safety Legislation Your trainer/assessor will advise you on these and other legislative requirements.
Tasks and frequency of performance
Details of the tasks to be undertaken in this assessment are provided in this document. The tasks listed in that document must be performed at least once. The presentation question in Part D should involve at least 2 team members.
The assessment may be re-attempted on two further occasions (maximum three attempts in total). All assessments must be resubmitted 3 days within receiving your unsatisfactory grade. You must clearly indicate “Re-submission” on your resubmitted work.
You must complete all questions unassisted by the assessor or other personnel but may refer to reference material as may be needed. All questions must be answered satisfactorily for the assessment to be completed satisfactorily.
For any assessment conducted that is incomplete, or without satisfactory performance, the assessment will need to be completed again after further training support. This may be simply to focus on question areas not achieved in the prior assessment.
Submitting your assessment
When you are ready to submit your assessments, upload the files in Canvas via the submission tab. It is important that you keep a copy of all electronic assessments submitted to Canvas. Please submit all assessment components.
In this assessment some of the questions include a word count. This is a guideline only, but your answers should not vary substantially (i.e. +/- 10%) from the word count provided. Microsoft Word includes a word count tool.
Objective To test the required application skills in building and sustaining an innovative work environment.
Assessment Cover Sheet
Candidate declaration: I declare that:
• I have read and understood all the information provided in relation to the assessment requirements to complete this unit, the instructions and the purpose and processes of undertaking this assessment task
• This assessment is my own work and where other’s works or ideas have been borrowed, I have appropriately referenced or acknowledged them
• I understand that plagiarism is a serious offence that may lead to disciplinary action.
Task 2: Report and Presentation
This assessment task must be conducted using the simulated business Bounce Fitness. You can access the documents that you require on Canvas page for Task 2. You may need to conduct further research.
Part B – Practical – Develop innovation
This part requires you to establish work practices that support innovation. In order to accomplish this, you must provide examples of conditions, procedures and arrangements that you would create in the Bounce Fitness Centre Cairns that encourage innovation in the workplace. You should also provide evidence for building and leading teams in innovative ways. These could include:
• Minutes of Meetings;
• Examples of working arrangements such as flexible time or other relevant arrangements that you have set;
• Procedures and policies that involve innovation;
• Practices that encourage innovation;
• Team building documents.
At least two (2) pieces of evidence is required. For the evidence that you are providing, ensure that you write down exactly what it is demonstrating, and how the change increased innovation at Bounce Fitness.
(Approx. 200 words)
Part C – Project: Promote innovation
This part requires that you provide evidence of your ability to promote innovation in Bounce Fitness Cairns.
You must also provide evidence that you are taking advice and suggestions from colleagues to build innovation (at least two examples).
For each piece of evidence that you provide:
• ensure that you write down exactly what it is demonstrating,
• write down how the change would increase innovation at Bounce Fitness.
(Approx. 200 words)
Part D – Group Work: Create a physical Promote innovation
This part requires you to develop new ideas for improving the physical environment. It includes a (video) presentation These could include collaborative spaces, social areas, inspirational features such as designs, interesting objects, posters, etc.
You are required to:
• create an overall plan for improving the efficiency of the Cairns Centre.
• present your findings to your fellow learners.
Your overall plan should include:
• An evaluation of the current situation of Bounce Fitness Cairns Centre
• You are to collaborate with a project team (your fellow learners) on how to enhance the physical working environment
• Consider new ideas for resources and equipment that may enhance innovation
• Examine ways of improving the creative mind set of others, including an examination of design, fit-out and decoration
Your presentation of the plan:
(a) should be around 5 to 10 minutes in length
(b) must be delivered using presentation slides.
Your assessor will be looking for:
• Use of clear language appropriate to the audience to promote and share information, requirements and recommendations relating to the workplace redesign
• Presentation of ideas and concepts using structure and language to suit the audience
• Alignment of ideas for workspace changes to workplace goals and objectives
• Collaboration and sharing of ideas with the project team
• An understanding of how the physical working environment could be modified to support creative thinking and innovation activities
• Identification of physical challenges and barriers to innovation that could be at Bounce Fitness Cairns Centre.
Adjustment for online students:
? The project team or group does not need to be fellow students but can be comprised of at least 2 of your friends, family, local club members, workmates, and so on.
? Submit your recorded video via Canvas. Ensure that the assessor can see your face while presenting.
Part E – Practical: Provide learning opportunities
This part requires you to look at how learning opportunities can be used for increasing overall innovation.
In order to do this, you must provide a written report on the outcomes of Part D. This report must
• Outline any information that you have shared with others, with a discussion of how this improved overall innovation.
• Discuss formal and informal learning opportunities that could be put in place in Bounce Fitness, that help or would help develop skills for innovation (as well as any further ideas that you would like to introduce).
• Discuss how you will create opportunities in which individuals can learn from the experience of others.
(Approx. 200 words)
End of Assessment
Congratulations, you have completed this assessment task. Please ensure all questions are answered and upload the following:
• This completed workbook
• Video Recording of Part D (If you are completing this unit online)
• PowerPoint slides used when carrying out the presentation in Part D.