FINAL EXAMINATION COVER SHEET
TRIMESTER 1- 2020
NAME Course Title
NUMBER Signature and Date
SUBJECT FOM 101 – FOUNDATIONS OF MARKETING
NO. OF PAGES INCLUDING THIS COVER SHEET 3
TOTAL MARKS IN EXAM 100 % OF FINAL GRADE 40
This examination has THREE (3) parts Weighting Marks
1. Short answer and essay style (Question 1, 2 and 3) 3 compulsory question 35% 35
2. Short answer and essay style (Question 4 and 5) 2 compulsory question 30% 30
3. Short answer and essay style (Question 6, 7 and 8) 3 compulsory question 35% 35
1. This is a Take-home exam. Textbooks, dictionaries and notes are allowed in the exam.
2. This is an individual exam. You must not speak to other students or look at others work.
3. Create a new word document and on top of the first page type yourStudentID_FirstName_LastName_Lecturer’s Name_T1 2020.
4. Do NOT rewrite the question in your exam answers. Just write the number of the question.
5. The typed answers must need to be submitted in Turnitin in Moodle within the 48 hours of the given timeframe.
PLEASE NUMBER EACH ANSWER CLEARLY IN YOUR DOCUMENT. PLEASE ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS
Question 1 (10 marks)
What are the main components of a SWOT analysis and a PEST analysis (or PESTEL / PESTLE / PESTDC)?
Question 2 (5 marks)
What are the main differences between the two types of analyses?
Question 3 (20 marks)
Adventure Travel is a large Australian travel company that specialises in domestic and international adventure holidays. The company’s target audience is 18 – 40 year olds who seek fun and adventure from their holiday experience.
An ‘adventure holiday’ is a type of organised holiday in which people do new and exciting things
(for example a trek, a safari, canoeing, rock climbing, or any physically challenging activity.)
Prepare a summary report for the Marketing Manager which includes both a SWOT and a PESTLE analysis.
Question 4 (20 marks)
(a) What are the four types of market segmentation? Please give examples for each using products of your choice.
(b) Using an example of your choice, what is positioning?
Question 5 (10 marks)
Using the company Adventure Travel, discuss the relevant segmentation and positioning strategies that you would recommend.
A large frozen food manufacturer, Great Southern Foods, is planning to launch a new range of microwavable frozen pasta and sauce meals using the brand name Bella Pasta. It will be distributed through supermarkets, service stations and convenience stores.
The broad target market is best described as “busy and active men and women aged 18-45 who want good quality, nutritionally balanced meals, without the hassle of having to cook”. The Marketing Manager is planning an extensive promotional campaign to support the launch.
Question 6 (5 marks)
Construct a fully labelled diagram of the Product Life Cycle and indicate which stage Bella Pasta would be in.
Question 7 (20 marks)
You have been asked to develop a promotional plan which will encompass advertising, sales promotion, personal selling and public relations. The major promotional objectives will be to create awareness of Bella Pasta and to change the behaviour of your target audience and convince them to try the product.
(a) Describe the promotional element/s that you would consider critical in meeting your promotional objectives and indicate why you have chosen them.
(b) Give specific examples of how you would apply (i.e. how do you intend on implementing) your suggestions in a ‘real world’ setting.
Question 8 (10 marks)
How might your promotional strategies and activities differ between the business market (B2B) compared with the consumer market (B2C)?
END OF EXAM