Assessment 2: Leadership and Management Development Plan
Report Word limit length 3,000 words /-10%
Develop a management and leadership development plan based on the appraisal of the management and leadership styles in the workplace in relation to the theories covered within the unit.
1. explain the broader system, organisation and group (team and unit) context in which their particular professional occupation or discipline is set and relate it to existing theory
2. summarise and evaluate the extant body of knowledge on leadership and management
3. reflect on interpersonal skills as a leader and/or manager
4. apply existing theory and research to the work setting
5. critique existing theory and research and challenge prevailing paradigms, world views, values and taken-for-granted ideas
6. apply an evidence-based approach to leadership and management in health
Building on Assessment 1 and 2, develop a 3000-word leadership and management development plan.
The Personal Leadership Development Plan should include the following:
- The leadership and management development plan can be about yourself and/or any other members of your organisation (or this can be hypothetical).
- Considering the appraisal of your own leadership role (official or unofficial) in relation to one or more of the leadership theories covered in this unit (e.g. self-awareness; reflection on your own leadership style/philosophy).
- The analysis must show close links between theory and practice that is between the literature, yourself and your development needs.
- Your plan should be evidence-based that is drawing on evidence about the management/leadership and areas that needs further development.
- The justification for the areas to work on could include performance feedback you have available or have gathered from your supervisor, colleagues, staff or clients;
self-reflection and exercises completed in the weekly activities in this unit, such as peer input, or development training feedback.
- The plan needs to comprise the concept of diversity and embraces acceptance and respect. It means understanding that each individual is unique, and recognising and accepting individual similarities and differences. These can be along the lines of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical and mental abilities, religious beliefs, political beliefs, or other ideologies. It is the exploration of these differences in a safe, positive, and nurturing environment. It is about understanding each other and moving beyond mere tolerance to embracing and celebrating the rich dimensions of diversity contained within each individual.
Assignment structure Please be advised that there can be variations in preparing your assignment. However, the below outline can be used in your writing.
- Cover page
- Abstract/Summary summarising the report and key take home messages (100 words).
- Table of contents
- Introduction a brief background about the workplace/setting, importance of leadership and management development (up to 200 words)
- Leadership and management development plan (up to 2300 words)
- Conclusion and recommendations provide key points and/or “take-home” messages and recommendations regarding the improvement of the healthcare leadership/management (up to 400 words).
- References APA style need to be used for references and in-text citations. The number of references depends on your argument; however, it is recommended to use the most recent literature in your area (if possible, the last 6-10 years).
A combination of diagrams, tables, charts can be provided in the support of the argument if required (maximum number: 3).
Please be advised that some parts of Assessment 1 and 2 can be used for Assessment 3, however, information needs to be rephrased.
Please be advised that in-text citations are included in the word count, however, the reference list and appendices are not included in the word count.
Using information from workplace: The assignments are designed to provide an opportunity to work with real workplace events to enhance the maximum relevance and possibility of translation of the work to practice. However, if there is no possibility of relating the assignments to the workplace, please describe the work in general terms and/or consider the case hypothetically.
If using any real information from your workplace, it needs to be secondary (e.g. online report) not primary (e.g. conducting interviews) as this would require ethical approval. Use the information provided anonymously, and seek permission from your workplace, before the usage of the information for the purpose of the assignment.
Word count and what to include: Markers will consider content in the body of the assignment (this can include tables, figures, diagrams, etc.). Additional material in an
appendix may be reviewed by the marker, however, it may not be considered in detail and feedback may not be provided.