STUDENT PRACTICAL ASSESSMENT TASK
Student ID: Student Name:
Task Number 3 of 5 Task Name AT1.3
National unit(s) code ICTNWK516 / ICTNWK517 National unit(s) title Determine best-fit topology for a local network / Determine best-fit topology for a wide area network
RMIT Program code C5395 RMIT Course code COSC7360C / COSC7361C
Section A - Assessment Information
Duration and/or due date Students have the class time to complete this assessment. This assessment is due in week 8 of commencing this unit
Summary and Purpose of Assessment
This practical assessment will allow you to demonstrate your ability to design a wired and wireless network in Packet Tracer, add functionality and demonstrate the working application.
Assessment Instructions to students
1. This IS an open book assessment.
2. There is to be NO communication of any kind.
3. Create a folder on the desktop and call it surNameNetworkTask1a
4. Example: If Chan is your surname call the folder chanNetworkTask1a.
5. Save all activity done for this Packet Tracer assessment in this folder.
6. Log on to Canvas (Learning hub), click on the following sequence of links:
7. Assignments (left hand side of screen)
8. Assessment Task 1
10. Create a new Packet tracer file and save to the folder mentioned above in step 4.
11. Follow instructions from page 2 of this document and complete the task. Use the names/naming terminologies exactly as given in the descriptions.
At the End of the Test:
12. Make sure you have saved the Packet Tracer file and named it as per step 2 and 3
13. Log on to Canvas again (Learning hub), click on the following sequence of links:
Assignments [on the left-hand side]
Assessment Task 1
Click on “Submit Assignment” button
Click on “Choose File” and upload the zipped file with the Packet tracer file and this document
Click “Submit Assignment”
14. After you have finished your test, proceed to your teacher who will verify your submissions.
15. It is your responsibility to ensure that all the relevant information created during the assessment is submitted.
16. This sheet must be handed in before you leave the room.
17. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all work required for the assessment is submitted.
18. Student Declaration: I have read and understood the Instructions to students and test procedure
The assessment will be held in your regular class rooms (Project spaces) within the allocated time.
Using the following drawing and the specifications below, you have been asked to use “Packet Tracer” to create a network topology before it can be implemented.
I. Configure the network and devices as per the diagram.
II. Configure the RMIT City router with the following details:
1. Use the “IT Laptop” to configure the router using the terminal program, you will need to connect to the router with the appropriate cable
2. Change the Display name of the router as “RMIT City”.
3. Change Serial 0/0/0 IP address to 172.18.0.1 and subnet mask to 255.255.0.0
4. Change FastEthernet 0/0 IP address to 10.0.0.10 and subnet mask to 255.0.0.0
5. Configure RIP version 2 networks - 10.0.0.0 and 172.18.0.0
III. Configure the RMIT Bundoora router with the following details:
6. Change the Display name of the router as “RMIT Bundoora”.
7. Change Serial 0/0/0 IP address to 172.18.0.2 and subnet mask to 255.255.0.0
8. Change FastEthernet 0/0 IP address to 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
9. Configure RIP version 2 networks – 192.168.0.0 and 172.18.0.0
IV. Configure the Server and PC’s with the following details:
10. Change the name of PC to “City Desktop”
11. Configure the ip address of the City Desktop to the tenth usable address in the network and write it down in the table below.
12. Change the name of the name of the laptop to “IT Laptop” and connect the laptop to the router with the console cable. You can assign an ip address of the eleventh usable ip address of the network and write it down in the table below.
13. Change the name of the Server to “Bundoora File Server
14. Configure the Server with the tenth usable address of the network and write it down in the table below.
V. Configure the devices with the following details:
Device port ip address subnet gateway
RMIT City Fa0/0 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0
S0/0/0 172.18.0.1 255.255.0.0
RMIT Bundoora Fa0/0 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0
S0/0/0 172.18.0.2 255.255.0.0
City Desktop Fa0/0
Bundoora File Server Fa0/0
IT Laptop Fa0/0
VI. Test connectivity:
15. Confirm the devices can ping each other
16. Confirm pinging using the table and ticking when they successfully ping.
RMIT City Router RMIT Bundoora Router City Desktop Bundoora File Server
Bundoora File Server
NOTE: Remember to save the file, follow the instructions given in page 1 “At the end of the assessment task” and submit.
Conditions for assessment
• This IS an open book assessment.
• You must complete the task within the maximum allowed duration
• This is an individual task that you must complete with minimal support from others.
• Please make arrangements with your assessor at least one week prior to the assessment due date if you feel you require special allowance or allowable adjustment to this task
• You must complete all the actions as listed in the observation checklist to the standard described in Section B to be deemed satisfactory in this assessment
• Please ensure your full and correct name is written on the student version of this assessment task (do not use nicknames or abbreviations)
• You will be assessed as satisfactory or not satisfactory
Equipment/resources students must supply (if applicable): Equipment/resources to be provided by RMIT or the workplace (if applicable):
• Hard copies of the student version of this assessment task
• Computer and Packet tracer software
Section B - Observation checklist - On demonstration
- Create the network as per the diagram
- Configure the routers ip addresses
- Configure the RIP Networks
- Connect the serial cables
- Connect the console cable
- Configure the devices
- Configure device names and IP addresses as specified
- Connect devices to Switch as required
- Test network for connectivity (ping)