MITS5003 Wireless Networks & Communication -
Assignment No 1
Submission Due Date: 06/09/2019 before 5 pm
All submissions are to be submitted through turn-it-in. Drop-boxes linked to turn-it-in will be set up in the Unit of Study Moodle account. Assignments not submitted through these dropboxes will not be considered.
Submissions must be made by the due date and time.
The turn-it-in similarity score will be used in determining the level if any of plagiarism. Turn-it-in will check conference web-sites, Journal articles, the Web and your own class member submissions for plagiarism. You can see your turn-it-in similarity score when you submit your assignment to the appropriate drop-box. If this is a concern you will have a chance to change your assignment and re-submit. However, re-submission is only allowed prior to the submission due date and time. After the due date and time have elapsed you cannot make re-submissions and you will have to live with the similarity score as there will be no chance for changing. Thus, plan early and submit early to take advantage of this feature. You can make multiple submissions, but please remember we only see the last submission, and the date and time you submitted will be taken from that submission.
Your document should be a single word or pdf document containing your report.
1. Describe the difference between IP and Network Access layer in TCP protocol and also explain the control information embedded in these two layers.
2. The French and Chinese prime ministers need to come to an agreement by telephone, but neither speaks the other’s language. Further, neither has on hand a translator that can translate to the language of the other. However, both prime ministers have English translators on their staffs. Draw a diagram similar to Figure 1 to depict the situation, and describe the interaction and each level.
3. From the following figures, compute the maximum amplitude, frequency, time period and phase for each of the wave. The x-axis represents the time in sec and y-axis represents the amplitude.
4. Compute the amplitude, frequency, time period and phase for each of the following equations and also draw their respective waveforms.
b. 14??????(2??(50)?? + 90)
c. 4??????(650???? + 180)
d. 6??????(700???? + 270)
5. Determine the isotropic free space loss at 6 GHz for the shortest path to a synchronous satellite from earth (35,863 km).
6. Given a signal as follows, compute the fundamental frequency, spectrum and bandwidth. Also calculate the channel capacity using Nyquest criteria using M= 2, 4, 8, where M is the number of levels.
??(??) = 5sin(100????) + sin(300????) + sin(600????)
7. Explain how the data rate over a channel can be increased, without increasing the bandwidth? What is the disadvantage of this approach?
Hint: Nyquist Theorem
8. What is the main difference between Packet switching and Circuit Switching? Also discuss the advantages of Packet switching over Circuit Switching and vice versa.
9. In a LOS communication, consider d = 60km, the requirement is to make two antennas (transmitter and receiver) such that the height of one antenna should be four time of the other. Considering this, find the appropriate heights of these two antennas.