Refer the attachment
You must read the following summary of two models before start writing to understand the subject contents.
Summary of Module1 Content:
In this module, we have also introduced operations management in the context of systems thinking, strategic management and the value chain. We have discussed the nature of the operations management function, which exists in every organisation where inputs are transformed into outputs by various processes, information flows, suppliers and customers.
Our discussion has included important operational aspects of manufacturing and service organisations. We have also discussed the importance of systems thinking in developing need for a level of interactivity between functional areas for an organisation to operate effectively. Finally, we have discussed the need for operations managers to continue to think strategically and make tactical, effective, risk-conscious decisions in their important and ever-changing role.
Summary of Module2 Content:
The first part of this module considers the link between operations effectiveness and sustainable competitive advantage. Managing competitive advantage is the key to survival in today’s dynamic business environment and managing operations effectively has become a strategic imperative for organisations. Doing so requires ways of thinking about problems that transcend traditional approaches and take a more holistic systems-based view. Systems thinking and soft systems methodology (SSM) provide an innovative approach.
In the second part of this module, we have explored tools and techniques of Soft Systems Methodology such as ‘rich picture’ and ‘root definition’ using CATWOE. Rich picture is a powerful tool to visualise a messy problem/situation without having clear understanding of the problem. It is a non-structured intuitive approach to tap the creative potential of all the stakeholders in understanding how the various parties are visualising an existing problem/situation. Root definition using CATWOE helps verbalise messy/complex problems from the perspectives of various stakeholders.
Assignment Instructions: (500 words)
Identify a local or global organisation that is currently facing significant issues and critically analyse how a Systems Thinking approach can assist in making optimal decisions. For example:
• You are working as operations manager in a company of your choice. This company has been in business for almost 10 years and is now being confronted with many operational issues related to inventory management. Sometimes there is excess stock and other times shortage of the inventory that are hearting the bottom line performance of the company. In addition to that new competitors and demand from customers to deliver faster and cheaper require organization a different approach rather than just solving the inventory problems.
• You are working in XYZ bank in your home country that has been struggling with significant loss of customers to competitors. To overcome the problem, the bank has introduced an incentive system for its employees to bring in new customers.
Once you have chosen your organisation and connected issue then identifying intended and unintended consequences of the policy change on various stakeholders of their chosen organisation and then recommend/propose alternative policies/procedures using Systems Thinking approach to help overcome the problem. Key points to consider:
• Your proposal should be holistic
• You must include reference to Systems Thinking literature (Read the first page theory)
• You must use Systems Thinking tools such as Rich Picture and CATWOE
Students are also required to provide a brief rationale of why it is important to use Systems Thinking and relevant tools and techniques to solve the identified organisational problem to minimise adverse consequences.
Remember this is just 500 words. No need of table of contents, intro or conclusion. Use essay format. Therefore need to be more specific and subject matter so read the theory of system thinking in the first page and also must to use both Rich picture and CATWOE in the analyse.