Directions: You need to answer all the questions to receive full credit. Responses should be well thought out and be in complete sentences. Please use the excerpt from One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich to complete the assignment.
1. What motivations does Solzhenitsyn ascribe to the inhabitants of the gulags? Do they seem particularly criminal to you? Why or why not?
2. In what ways could this passage contradict the official Soviet image of the U.S.S.R. as a “worker’s paradise”?
3. What motivations might the Soviet leadership have had for allowing this publication?
Directions: Please explore the following questions related to the three readings, “The State and Revolution,” “The Doctrine of Fascism,” and “Mein Kampf.” You are expected to answer the question fully and provide evidence for your response.
1. In what ways did the communist and fascist ideologies offer radically different solutions to similar problems?
2. What specific facets of liberal ideology did Lenin, Mussolini, and Hitler reject, and why?
3. Compare and contrast Mussolini’s conception of “vitality” with Hitler’s ideas of “race.” What does this suggest about the similarities and differences between German and Italian Fascism?