You will create this assignment following the Assignment Detail instructions below. This assignment will be submitted in the Unit 2 - Submission Assignment lesson in intellipath.
Review the tutorial titled How to Submit the Intellipath Submission Assignment.
Please submit your work to this week’s Intellipath Unit Submission lesson. Click the Upload button within the submission lesson to access the submission area. Click the Select File button to upload your document, and then click -OK- to finish.
As you read in the 1967 Task Force Report on police, and will again in the 2016 report, police training is still a consistent recommendation. However, there appears to be a lack of consistency in what knowledge, skills, and abilities are important for the profession.
While there are general recommendations on critical thinking, writing, and communication skills, these recommendations are often made without community involvement on the knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) they would like to see in their police officers.
When you place this into points raised in both reports, the police work for the community and are beholden to the community, which makes their involvement in these discussions important to improving community relations and the delivery of police services.
In this assignment, you are going to further develop your writing and analytical skills. Specifically, you are going to create a 4–5-page report that identifies and explains the knowledge, skills, and abilities you believe are important for police. As you develop this report, assume that it will be submitted to your local police department. For each KSA you select, consider why you believe it is important and how it helps facilitate better policing.
The specific steps are as follows:
1. Select at least 2 of each specific knowledge base, skills, and abilities that you believe are important for officers to possess.
o You will have at least 6 KSAs identified.
2. For each selected KSA, write at least 1 paragraph explaining why you believe it is critical for an officer to possess, and 1 paragraph explaining how it helps facilitate better policing.
o Use at least 1 scholarly resource to support your selection.
3. Write a conclusion summarizing why you believe these specific KSAs should be valued within the police organization.
4. Use no fewer than 6 scholarly resources.
The President’s Commission on Law Enforcement and Administration of Justice. (1967). Task force report: The police. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office. Retrieved from https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/Digitization/147374NCJRS.pdf
President’s Task Force on 21st Century Policing. (2015). Final Report of the President’s Task Force on 21st Century Policing. Washington, D.C.: Office of Community Oriented Policing Services. Retrieved from http://elearning-courses.net/iacp/html/webinarResources/170926/FinalReport21stCenturyPolicing.pdf
If you are planning to repurpose an assignment or submit one you have used before, please let your instructor know. If an instructor is not made aware of work being repurposed or reused, he or she will treat the assignment as a plagiarized task and reserves the right to post an F grade and submit a task for review to administration until proof of originality is provided. Click here for more information.
The following are some tips if you have problems submitting your assignment:
1. Resave in the proper format per the Assignment Detail instructions, and resubmit.
2. Submit with a different Web browser.
3. Submit from a different computer.
4. Call Technical Support at 877-221-5800, Menu Option 2. They are open 24/7.
5. If you are still having difficulties after trying steps 1–4, please contact your course instructor.
Make sure you submit this assignment by the listed due date. Late deductions will apply for this assignment as follows:
1. Assignments submitted within 7 calendar days after the stated due date: 10% penalty of total assignment points.
2. Assignments submitted 8–14 calendar days after the stated due date: 20% penalty of total assignment points.
3. Assignments submitted 15–21 calendar days after the stated due date: 30% penalty of total assignment points.
4. Assignments submitted 22–28 calendar days after the stated due date: 40% penalty of total assignment points.