Description: Write a 700 word opinion editorial that critically analyses the challenges with realising aspirations of the common good in your professional community, locally and globally. An extended description providing you with additional information about how to undertake this assignment is available on the unit in LEO. Assessment Assignment 2 Extended Description. Harvard referencing required and is a must.
Length and/or format: 700 words
Purpose: Building on the concepts and principles introduced in UNCC100 explain a challenge associated with realising aspirations of the common good in your professional community, locally and globally. For UNCC300, you are required to write about a challenge experienced both locally and globally.
Return of assignment: Assignments will be returned on January 11 for preparation of assignment 3.
Assessment criteria: A rubric outlining the criteria you will be marked on and the standard for each criterion required to achieve each grade for Assignment 2 can be found on LEO under Assessment Rubric for Assignment 2.
UNCC300 Assignment 2
Your assessment is to:
Write a 700 word opinion editorial that critically analyses the challenges with realising aspirations of the common good in your professional community, locally and globally. You will need to select an issue that relates to the degree program you are studying. You should read the article on LEO that explains how to write an Op-Ed piece, and the two examples provided before commencing this assessed task.
• Create an evocative and engaging Op-Ed that explains a challenge associated with realising aspirations of the common good in your professional community, locally and globally.
• The Op-Ed should clearly explain to readers what the issue or problem is and how your understanding of the knowledge you have acquired in the unit addresses the issue or problem and relate to the discipline area you are studying in.
• Please note that you do not have to come up with the ‘definitive solution’ for the Op Ed, this may form part of Assessment 3. Your tutor is looking for a well-argued view in order to move forward on the issue or problem.
• The Op-Ed is to be no more than 700 words long (papers which fall beyond this word length will be penalised). The idea is to express your thoughts clearly and concisely and make your argument as directly as you can – just like a journalist or writer. Do not assume that this assignment is easy given the word length. The challenge is to present a persuasive argument in a concise manner!
• Although Op-Ed’s do not usually require referencing, for this academic work, referencing is required. References do not count in the word limit. See referencing guidelines on the UNCC300 LEO page (You can find it under Assessment How do I reference course materials for UNCC units?).
• This assessment will be worth 30 marks.
Example Op Ed: For those who’ve come across the sea. http://mediablog.catholic.org.au/for-those-whove-come-across-the-seas/
Example Op Ed: Interconnectedness a major principle of encyclical