FACULTY OF HIGHER EDUCATION
HC1010 Accounting For Business
TRIMESTER 3 / 2017
1. This assignment is to be submitted in accordance with assessment policy stated in the Subject Outline and Student Handbook.
2. It is the responsibility of the student who is submitting the work, to ensure that the work is in fact her/his own work. Incorporating another’s work or ideas into one’s own work without appropriate acknowledgement is an academic offence. Students can submit all assignments for plagiarism checking (self-check) on Blackboard before final submission in the subject. For further details, please refer to the Subject Outline and Student Handbook.
3. Maximum marks available: 20 marks.
4. Due date of submission: Week 10
5. Assignment should be of 2,500 words with maximum of 04 members in each group. Please use “word count” and include in report. Important Note: Please submit Assignment through SafeAssign.
6. Every group will work on the allocated company by the lecturer given in Blackboard.
Format of the Report
1. You at least should have the following details:
• Assignment Cover page clearly stating your members name and student ID’s
• A table of contents including executive summary
• A brief introduction or overview of what the report is about.
• Body of the report with sections to answer the above sections and with appropriate section headings
• List of references.
2. Diagrams and tables if required.
3. Ensure all materials are correctly referenced. Plagiarism will be severely penalised.
Group Assignment Topic:
Identifying and assessing the financial statement analysis by Understanding the financial ratios, directors report and ethical standards
The objective of this project is to provide you with an opportunity to assess the company’s financial position and analyse according to the given data in Annual report.
Part 1: Annual report from ASX listed company, Explain current FY (2017-2018) with the comparison of previous 02 financial years: Marks-3X3=09
a. P/L statement
b. Cash flow statement
c. Balance sheet
Part 2: Ratio Analysis: Marks-1.5X4=06
Explain current FY (2017-2018) with the comparison of previous 02 financial years. Following ratios should be calculated according to the information given in the annual report. Profitability ratio, Efficiency ratio, Liquidity Ratio, Rate of Return
a. Profitability Ratio:
Return on Assets= Net Profit + Interest (Net of Income Tax)
Average Total Assets
b. Efficiency Ratio:
Inventory Turnover= COGS
c. Liquidity Ratio:
Current Ratio = Current Assets
d. Rate of Return:
Earning per Shares = Net Profit-Preference Dividends Weighted average number of Ordinary Shares issued
Based on the directors’ report, explain how the management works for the best interest of the company. Ethical standards need to be mentioned. If you are an investor, are you going to invest on this company? Why or Why not? Marks-05
Detail Instructions of the Assignment by comparing previous 02 financial years Part 01:
• Analyse Profit and Loss with previous year’s figures and competitors from the same industry
• Analyse Cash flow statement to show their Financing/operating/investing activities. Explanation of each activities
• Analyse B/Sheet to show company’s current financial position of the company
Part 02: Calculate the ratios based on the information from Annual Report and briefly explain.
• Corporate governance statements and the practice of the integrity policy inside the business.
• Management’s approach towards:
• Taking and managing business risks.
• Attitudes and actions toward financial reporting.
• Attitudes toward information processing and accounting functions and personnel.
Additional Factors that you may consider include:
• Business operations
• Investments and investment activities
• Financing and financing activities
• Industry size
• Major players/competitors
• Market shares of Industry players