CIS8000 Assignment 1
Description Marks out of Wtg(%) Due date
Assignment 1 100 35 3 April 2017
ENTERPRISE DESKTOP APPLICATION
In this Assignment 1 you are the Manager of a department in a global multinational company (The type of Organization/industry/business/service will be assigned to you via an email from the Course Examiner)
In the light of the increasing number of your employees using different types of applications for managing all aspects of operations, you have come up with an idea for a Desktop Application for a particular problem that will help improve the workflow, communications and productivity of your staff, both in-house as well as with company employees across the globe.
Using Microsoft PowerPoint, develop a Professional presentation to the CIO to convince him/her to provide the appropriate resources to realize the development, implementation and integration of your concept application into the Enterprise's in-house Application store
The concept of the application does not have to be particularly sophisticated or innovative for the purposes of this course. We are more interested in the processes and issues involved rather than the end product itself, and the application is therefore to be considered only as a means to an end. So an adaptation of an existing product or solution is acceptable.
Your pitch to the CIO will include:
1. Details about the Organization/industry/business/service
1.1. Industry Type (assigned to you)
1.2. Description of the Organization
1.3. Description of department of which you are the Manager
2. The concept
3. The business drivers
4. The benefits
5. The target audience
6. Impact on existing staff, processes and procedures
7. A wireframe/prototype design of the user interfaces showing the application in its various steps and phases
1. In the design process, the best way to show customers, managers, and programmers the product you have in mind and want to create is to make a mockup of the views that compose the Desktop Application user interface.
2. One of the first things you want to do to develop your Desktop Application idea is to create a mockup of the Application. A mockup, as the name implies, is a basic visual prototype of the look and feel of your Application. Mockups serve two purposes, one is to test the core concepts of your application and the second is to serve as a blueprint to use when working with developers to build your application. A good mockup will lay out what every screen in your application looks like down to the buttons, colours and fonts and will illustrate how someone moves through the application to complete basic tasks.
a. The course examiner has negotiated a free licence for the Balsamiq wireframe software which you are free to download and use
(https://balsamiq.com/download/#). Explore the many resources (videos, tutorials, blogs, etc.) at this site. You can find the License Information on your Study Desk under Additional Resources Section
b. Please note that you may use a mockup/wireframe/prototype tool of your choice 3. The maximum number of slides is 20 (twenty).
4. Each slide must include speaker’s notes (in the Notes section) that expand on the bullet points and graphics on the slide.
5. There must be evidence in your presentation that your Desktop Application is directly related to the organization/industry/business/service that you have been assigned. Failure to do so will result in zero marks being awarded for this assignment.
1) The file naming guidelines are as follows:
a. It is important that you use this convention to ensure that assignments can be tracked:
i. Replace ‘familyname’ with YOUR family or surname
ii. Replace ‘studentnumber’ with YOUR student number (which starts with ‘00’)
2) Submit your assignment using the Online Assignment Submission link on the Study Desk
3) Late submission of assignment work
a. Late assignments will be penalised unless permission has been granted by the course leader BEFORE the assignment due date. Late assignments may be penalised by reducing the allocated mark by 5% per day late.
1. The assignment must be the expression of your own work. It is acceptable to discuss course content with others to improve your understanding and clarify requirements, but solutions to this assignment must be done on your own.
2. You must not copy from anyone, including tutors and fellow students, nor provide copies of your work to others. Assignments that do not adhere to this requirement will be deemed as being the result of collusion or plagiarism. This may lead to severe academic penalties as outlined in Academic Regulation 5.10 of the USQ Handbook. It is your own responsibility to ensure the integrity of your work. Refer to the Faculty of Business policy for further details.
3. NOTE: Your assignment will be sent automatically to the plagiarism checking website Turnitin when you submit your assignment.