EASTERN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
FACULTY OF BUSINESS AND COMPUTING
I and I l
EASTERN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY Te Whare Takiura o Kahungunu
DUE: October 26 2016, 3 pm
WEIGHTING: 30 % OF FINAL GRADE
PURPOSE: To assess the understanding, knowledge, and application of theoretical knowledge on consumer behaviour, the decision making process, and its implications for marketing strategies for consumers and organisations.
SUMMARY OF TASKS Use secondary research, your own thoughts / ideas to answer the questions; this assignment must be your own individual effort.
Task I Introduction 5 marks
Task Il Buyer Decision-Making: Model 25 marks
Task Ill Buyer Decision-Making: Involvement 20 marks
Task IV Buyer Decision-Making: Consumer Markets 25 marks
Task V Internal Influences 15 marks
Task VI Marketing Strategy Implications 10 marks
TOTAL MARKS: 100 MARKS
1. As an individual consumer or as a member of a household, you engage in a variety of buying decisions on a regular basis. Select any purchase that you have made recently, either personally, or one in which you played a major role.
Write a report that addresses each task that is outlined below. Answer all of the following questions and follow the structure given below. Please note that your answers should be based on your understanding of the theory applied to your chosen brand and company. You are expected to use concrete examples from your research. If you use (quote or paraphrase) information taken from any sources (especially the company website) you are required to reference appropriately.
2. You are required to research information about your focus brand and the company to answer the assignment questions. You may want to use a combination of the following secondary data sources company website; company promotional material; magazine or newspaper articles; industry reports; scholarly articles / business databases in the library; internet; personal observation
3. Presentation of assignment. Presentation is a key aspect of professional marketing hence the quality of your assignment is very important. The following criteria will be considered to assess the quality of your work: presentation - clear structure and following of instructions; signs of effort given to this assignment; correct referencing; correct language, grammar and spelling. Your assignment should be word processed in Times New Roman, 12 point font, 1.5 spacing between lines, 3 cm margin on the right side of the page (for marking purposes).
The word limit is 2500 words. Please provide the word count on the submitted assignment. Additional supporting information and other relevant material should be included in an appendix at the end of the report. The appendix and reference list are not included in the word count.
Correct referencing (including in-text referencing and a reference list at the end of the assignment) is a requirement of all academic work. Please reference using APA referencing. Information about referencing and APA guidelines are available on EIT online or from the EIT library. Learning Services can also offer assistance.
A signed plagiarism declaration must be submitted. Your assignment will only be marked if a signed declaration is submitted. Please note that your signature confirms that you have read and understood the requirements of referencing and you have referenced your work. Expect serious consequences for intentional plagiarism. Please seek support if required, as not understanding how to reference is not accepted as an excuse!
Please detach the plagiarism declaration (the last page of this handout). Sign the declaration and submit this page with your assignment. Submit online in Turnitin on Moodle for this course.
l. Introduction: Purchase context
Briefly identify your purchase's product category, the brand, the company that produces and markets this brand, and describe a context (where, when, with whom, sales situation) in which the purchase occurred. 5 marks
ll. Buyer Decision-Making Process: Model
Apply the model of consumer decision-making process to explain in detail the various stages of your decision process: 25 marks
a. problem recognition 5 marks
b. information search 5 marks
c. evaluation of alternatives 5 marks
d. store choice and purchase 5 marks
post-purchase processes 5 marks
Ill. Buyer Decision-Making Process: Level of Involvement 20 marks
1. Was your type of purchase decision extended, limited or routine in nature? How would you characterise your level of involvement? With reference to some current literature, defend your characterisation of involvement. 10 marks
2. If your purchase was extended, identify conditions in which the same purchase would be considered routine. If it was routine, then identify conditions in which the same purchase would be considered extended. If it is limited, then examine situations in which the same purchase would become either routine or extensive. 10 marks
IV. Buyer Decision-Making Process: Situational Influences
1. Explain how situational influences affected your purchase behaviour. Identify at least one factor from the following categories and provide a brief analysis of its influence: 25 marks
a. physical surroundings 5 marks
b. social surroundings 5 marks
c. temporal perspective 5 marks
d. task definition 5 marks
antecedent states 5 marks
V. Internal Influences
Explain and clarify how the following factors influenced your decision: 15 marks
a. perception 5 marks
b. learning 5 marks
c. memory 5 marks
Vll. Marketing Strategy Implications
Reflecting on your answers to Task V, explain how the company could improve its marketing strategy taking into the account the effect of the following internal influencers: 10 marks
a. perception 5 marks
b. learning and memory 5 marks