In partnership with
BSBHRM506A Manage recruitment, selection and induction processes
Student Name: XXXXXX
Student Number: XXXXXX
Assessment Number: 30964B/02
All terms mentioned in this text that are known to be trademarks or service marks have been appropriately capitalised. Use of a term in this text should not be regarded as affecting the validity of any trademark or service mark.
© Open Colleges Pty Ltd, 2014
All rights reserved. No part of the material protected by this copyright may be reproduced or utilised in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
Printed in Australia
Once you feel confident that you have covered the learning materials for this unit, you are ready to attempt this assessment.
To help Open Colleges manage your assessment, please use the following file-naming convention: [student number]_[assessment]_[assessment number]_[assessment part].doc
For example, 12345678_21850a_01_PartA.doc
Submitting your assessment
When you are ready to submit your assessment, upload the file to OpenSpace using the assessment upload links in the study period. The Student Lounge provides a Quick Guide to Uploading Assessments if you need further assistance. Uploading assessments to OpenSpace will enable Open Colleges to provide you with the fastest feedback and grading on your assessment.
It is important that you keep a copy of all assessments submitted to Open Colleges.
In this assessment some of the questions include a word count. This is a guideline only, but your answers should not vary substantially (i.e. +/- 10%) from the word count provided. Microsoft Word includes a word count tool.
You must satisfactorily complete two (2) assessments for BSBHRM506A Manage recruitment selection and induction processes:
• Assessment Number 30964B/01: Written report and portfolio
• Assessment Number 30964B/02: Short answer questions and tasks
Short answer questions and tasks
The short answer questions and tasks in this assessment are based on the CoffeeVille case study found by clicking here. By clicking the ‘intranet’ tab on this site, you can source the CoffeeVille:
• Business Plan 2011/12
• Operational Plan 2011/12
• Policy and procedure documents
• Employee handbook.
A range of other documents is also within this intranet providing valuable background information about the operation of the business.
1. You have been hired to conduct the recruitment and selection process for CoffeeVilles new cafe being opened in six (6) weeks time. Rufus and Emma, the owners, have told you that they believe the new cafe will experience approximately 80% of the volume of their current store from the first day where the current store has 3 Store Managers (including Rufus and Emma) and 5 Barista's. Determine an appropriate level of resourcing for the new cafe for opening day, keeping in mind that they will have all new staff, where the current store has all experienced workers. (Approximately 100-150 words)
2. Write an email to send to Rufus and Emma outlining your recommendation from question 1 for staff resources for the new cafe. (Approximately 150 words)
3. Write an email to go to hiring managers outlining the need to and importance of using position descriptions and/ or person specifications when recruiting for all vacancies. Your email should explain how the business will check that staff are complying with the relevant recruitment policies and procedures. (Approximately 150 - 175 words)
4. A manager of CoffeeVille has submitted to following job advertisement to be posted online continuously for two months:
Job Type: Permanent Full-time Barista
Location: Melbourne City Center
Salary: $12.00 per hour
Start Date: ASAP
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8.00 – 4.00pm
Looking for a young person who wants to make coffee.
Please submit your resume for review.
a) Review the above job advertisement and identify two (2) elements that do not comply with the CoffeeVille organisational policy or relevant legal requirements. (Approximately 50-60 words)
b) Explain the potential impacts of these issues. (Approximately 50-60 words)
5. Develop a checklist that identifies each step in the recruitment and selection procedure. (Approximately 75-100 words)
6. Complete the following table by summarising the legal requirements of the recruitment and selection process for the listed pieces of legislation. (Up to 100 words per legislation)
Legislation Impact on the organisation’s recruitment and selection policies
Racial Discrimination Act 1975
Sexual Discrimination Act 1984
Disability Discrimination Act 1992
Affirmative Action (Equal Employment Opportunity for Women) Act 1986
Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission Act 1986
Privacy Act 1988
7. Write a letter of offer and employment contract for a new Store Manager for the new CoffeeVille cafe. Include details of their salary and employment terms and conditions. You may use the letter of offer and/ or contract found on the Fair Work Ombudsman website (Contract Template).
Copy of letter and contract sourced from the Fair Work Ombudsman website (http://www.fairwork.gov.au/about-us/policies-and-guides/templates)
8. What information would you give to CoffeeVille store managers about how they should ensure that new employees are appropriately ‘on-boarded’ to the new business? You should refer to the business’ policies for employee probation in your response. (Approximately 125-150 words)
9. Feedback received from employees on the induction process has highlighted that managers are not having a formal chat with employees fortnightly to check how they are settling in. Feedback received from managers on the Induction procedure has highlighted that it is very time intensive and that they do not have the time needed for all the formal chats with new employees.
What changes may be required to the induction process to address this feedback? (Approximately 100 words)