Assessment Brief 3
Course Bachelor of Business/Business of Accounting
Unit Marketing Planning
Unit Code B01MKPL302
Assessment Assessment 3 –Report writing
Length/duration 1500 words
Learning Outcomes addressed a) Prepare a marketing strategy planning for a business
b) Identify the resources needed to implement a marketing strategy planning
c) Develop appropriate strategies to implement a marketing strategy planning
d) Successfully implement a marketing strategy planning for a business
e) Identify appropriate control methods for marketing strategy planning
f) Use appropriate methods to evaluate a marketing strategy planning
Submission date End of Week 10. A daily penalty of 5% will be applied to late assignments.
Brief Students will be required to write a report on a marketing planning of a pub of your choice.
Total Marks 100 marks.
Weightings 25% of the total assessment
Students will be required to write a report of the following
Task: The Australian traditional pub has come a long way from simply being an after-work watering hole. The pub scene is currently enjoying a renaissance, with many licensees (pub owners) taking the best of yesteryear’s blue collar aesthetic and repackaging it for today’s cultured middle class.
You are to observe and prepare a marketing plan of any pub of your choice in Sydney. You should investigate what makes a pub great, customers happy and more importantly ensure that they want to come back. Is it the great selection of drinks, atmosphere, food, trivia competition or karaoke?
You should write the marketing plan of your chosen pub with an assessment of the Australian pub and drinking environment; marketing plan objectives; a situation analysis; a Marketing Mix outline and implementation plan.
2. Executive Summary (1 page maximum)
3. Table of Contents
4. Introduction - purpose of writing the document and any other background information that would help the reader understand the context and the content.
5. Situation Analysis (background relevant information about the market, industry, competitors, customers, company i.e. the external and internal environment analysis)
6. Opportunities and issues statement (identifying the key threats, opportunities, strengths and weaknesses and the key issues that will be addressed in the plan)
7. Marketing Objectives (the objectives the plan intends to achieve)
8. Marketing Strategies (how will the pub achieve the objectives - which segments to target? with what value proposition? what will be the positioning strategies? other marketing mix strategies?
how to create competitive advantage?)
9. Marketing mix
Action programmes (details about what is to be done, by whom, when and cost involved)
10. The role of social media sites in rating the pub via Tweet, Instagram or Facebook.
11. Brief budget/profitability analysis (the expected revenues and expenses from the plan)
12. Monitoring and Control (how will you ensure that the objectives have been achieved? what should be monitored? how to measure performance?)
13. Summary and Conclusion
Your assignment report must include:
• Correct writing structure. Refer to the Academic Learning Skills handout on report writing.
• Harvard referencing for any sources you use. Refer to the Academic Learning Skills handout on Referencing.
• A minimum of 4 academic references (including the text book).
You must submit your assignment to MOODLE for it to be marked in Week 10. Another copy should be sent to TURNITIN to check for plagiarism.
Marking guide ( rubric): Individual Report
Criteria. Distinction/High Distinction Credit Pass Fail
/20 Thorough research
is indicated. Very good
use of sources to support ideas, well integrated, sources are credible. May be minor weaknesses with paraphrasing or integration/applicati on. Research is generally thorough. Good use of sources to support ideas, mostly well integrated, sources are credible. May be weaknesses with paraphrasing or integration/ application. Basic and sound research. Basic use of sources to support ideas, generally well integrated, most sources are credible. May be weaknesses with paraphrasing or integration/ application. Little evidence of research. Sources are missing, inappropriate, poorly integrated or lacking credibility.
Lacks clear link of sources with essay.
Essay/report is very
coherent and flows
well; topic is addressed thoroughly; analyses in depth. There may be minor inconsistencies and weaknesses with flow. Essay/Report is coherent and flows well; topic is addressed quite thoroughly; analyses in considerable depth. There may be some inconsistencies and weaknesses with flow. Essay/report is generally coherent; topic is addressed; analyses in reasonable depth with some description. There are some inconsistencies and weaknesses with flow. Essay/report lacks coherence; topic is poorly addressed; little analysis.
/20 Topic, concepts are clearly outlined in introduction. Material in body is logically and clearly sequenced; very few or minor weaknesses. Conclusion mostly
effectively summarises essay/report; with
and clear links to introduction. Topic, concepts and are mostly clearly conveyed in introduction. Material in body is logically and clearly sequenced; few or minor weaknesses. Conclusion summarises essay; may be some weaknesses; generally clear links to introduction. Topic, concepts are generally stated with some
clarity in introduction. Material in body is generally logically
sequenced; some weaknesses. Conclusion does not clearly
Essay/report; links to introduction are not clear.
Topic, concepts are not clear in introduction. Material in the body is generally poorly sequenced. No discernible conclusion; no links to introduction.
/20 Very good standard of writing; very few or minor errors in punctuation, grammar and spelling. Good standard of writing; few errors
in punctuation, grammar and spelling. Basic and sound standard of writing; some
errors in punctuation, grammar and
Poor standard of writing. Word limit may not be adhered to.
/10 Very good attempt to reference sources; very minor inconsistencies and technical errors in style. Thorough and
consistent reference list and all references listed.
Good attempt to reference sources; inconsistencies and technical errors in style. Few inaccuracies in reference list and all references listed.
Basic and sound attempt to reference sources; may be some
inconsistencies and technical errors in style. Reference list is generally complete with 1 or 2 references missing. No referencing is evident or, if done, is inconsistent and technically incorrect. No or minimal reference list, mixed styles.
General Notes for Referencing