Description of topic:
Strategic Human Resource Management (SHRM) plays a significant role in organisational effectiveness (Gallup Consulting, 2010; Pfeffer & Veiga, 1999). It is therefore important to adopt SHRM, as opposed to traditional Human Resource Management (HRM), for effective HR decision-making within an organisation. Amongst the abundance of available SHRM models, Jackson and Schuler’s (1995) model includes a variety of macro-level environmental characteristics that influence the implementation of HRM practices, policies and philosophies, and subsequently, influences organisational performance.
The focus of this assignment is to analyse the external operating environment of a Higher Education (HE) Sector and discuss how impacts the HRM functions of a HE provider (e.g. Charles Darwin University). Use Jackson and Schuler (1995) HRM model to analyse the external environment of the HE Sector that you are familiar with. Identify and discuss the factors of the environment and their potential impact on the HRM functions of a HE provider of your choice.
Length: 2000 words ± 5 per cent
Due date: Midnight, Friday Week 6
Late assessment submissions incur a penalty of 5% per day past the due date.
To complete this assignment successfully students are required to:
• Identify a HE provider (e.g. a university) in Australia or in your home country/state/territory. Briefly describe the profile of the HE provider and discuss its mission and vision.
• Discuss the external environmental factors presented in Jackson and Schuler’s (1995) HRM model.
• Use Jackson and Schuler model to analyse the factors of the external operating environment of your chosen HE provider.
• Discuss the different functions of HR. The typical HR functions are (i) planning, resourcing and retention, (ii) recruitment and selection, (iii) training and development, (iv) remuneration and rewards, and (v) employee relations.
• Discuss the impact of each external environmental factor on the HR functions of the chosen HE provider.
Your assignment must be in essay format. However, some headings are acceptable. The assignment should be supported by ten (10) to fifteen (15) credible references.
Lecturers may, at their discretion, ask students to verbally present their assignment submission or rewrite some selected part/s of their answer in a
CDU Harvard referencing style must be used.
For the assessment criteria refer to the assessment rubric on Learnline.
The CDU Library has prepared a brief Youtube video which will assist you deciphering the requirements of the first assignment. It gives you a quick overview of how to break down the assignment and start researching.
The Library Research Session for Assignment 1 can be found at: http://youtu.be/wuqN3MJrSrs
Gallup Consulting 2010, The state of the global workplace: A worldwide study of employee engagement and wellbeing, viewed 20 February 2015
Jackson, S & Schuler, R 1995, Understanding Human Resource Management in the context of organisations and their environments, Annual Review of Psychology, vol. 46, pp. 237-264.
Pfeffer, J & Veiga, F 1999, Putting people first for organisational success, Academy of Management Executive, vol. 13, no. 2, pp.37-48.