Student Name: ____________ Student ID: ___________
Group: ______ Date: _______
Assessment for this unit of competency is based on competency based grading. All assessment tasks, except Practical Observations and Clinical Placements are weighted and graded. Overall final grades applied to this unit of competency are:
0-49% Competency achieved – graded
50-59% Competent with
60-69% Competent with
70-79% Competent with High
Any re-assessment is conducted as soon as practicable after you have been informed of the requirement to be re-assessed and have been given the opportunity to be re-trained and assimilate the training. You are re-assessed only in the areas your assessor deems that you have not met the required standard. It is at the assessor/s discretion to re-assess the entire assessment should it be demonstrated an overall understanding of this unit has not been achieved.
Reasonable Adjustment for this unit College Based Workplace Based
Assistance of a learning support teacher for LLN issue sChoose an item. Choose an item.
Modifications to physical environment, e.g. wheelchai access r Choose an item. Choose an item.
Changes to course design, e.g. instead of written assessment task – change to verbal questioning & assessor to write the answers Choose an item. Choose an item.
Changes in lecture schedules and arrangements, e.g.
relocating classes to an accessible venue Choose an item. Choose an item.
I acknowledge the assessment process has been explained and agree to undertake assessment. I am aware of Careers Australia’s appeals process, should the need arise. I also understand that I must be assessed as ‘satisfactory’ in all parts of the assessment to gain a competent result for this unit of competency. I declare that the work contained in this assessment is my own, except where acknowledgement of sources is made. I understand that a person found responsible for academic misconduct will be subject to disciplinary action (refer to student handbook).
Student Signature: ________________ Date: ______
Assessor use only
Assessor Comment/Feedback: ___________
Assessor Name: _____________________ Assessor Signature: ____________________
Date: ______________ Result: ____% Reassessment: YES / NO Due Date: __________
Office use only:
Results entered by : Date:
Assessment Weight: 50%
Pass at 50% or greater – as per marking guide.
Part A: Poster – (To be completed before presentation. Can be given at the beginning of the unit.)
Part B : Presentation
This is a two (2) person assessment task.
There are two (2) tasks for this project.
PART A: Firstly, you are both required to work on preparing a cultural awareness poster that can
be used as an education resource in the workplace. Students can choose to present via an E-poster or via a hard copy poster. E-posters are to have no more than 4 slides and hard copy posters are to be presented on an A3 sheet.
PART B: Secondly, you will both present (alternating) the poster to your class. You have 15 minutes to present either version of your poster. The 15 minutes is to include preparation and question time.
You are an enrolled nurse working in an aged care facility. The mix of residents and staff at this facility broadly represent a diverse multicultural society.
1. Recently there have been some communication issues among staff in the workplace. Investigations have determined the communication issues are due to cultural differences and poor understanding of cultural needs of colleagues.
2. The facility has also experienced some incidences of cross cultural misunderstanding between staff and residents, due to the diverse cultural background of the individuals.
The facility manager has asked you, as a staff member, to prepare an e-poster or poster that can be used as an educational resource in the workplace. This is to be regarded as one of the strategies utilised, to create greater cultural awareness and enhance effective client and work relationships, within a culturally diverse work environment.
PART A: The poster must address the following topics:
1. Culturally safe work practices
1.1 Identify three (3) reasons why it is important to recognise and use culturally appropriate and safe work practices in the workplace.
1.2 Explain one (1) way of identifying if a work place practice is culturally safe.
1.3 Give one (1) example of a non-harmful, culturally safe work place practice.
2. Respond respectfully and sensitively to cultural beliefs and practice that may cause harm
2.1 When a cultural difficulty or misunderstanding has occurred, identify two (2) ways in which it may impact on a client.
2.2 A Jehovah Witness is refusing a blood transfusion, but urgently requiring one, can be considered a cultural belief that may cause harm. Identify two (2) ways in how you would respectfully and sensitively respond to a cultural belief that may cause harm? E.g. Determine if language is a barrier.
3. Communicate effectively with a person from a diverse cultural background
3.1 Identify three (3) communication techniques and/or assistance that could enhance confidence and trust in the nurse/client relationship and that could be used when communicating with a person from another cultural background.
4. Conflict resolution & negotiation skills
4.1 Identify three (3) strategies that you could use to resolve conflict within the workplace, to improve current work practices.
4.2 Identify two (2) negotiation skills that could improve current work practices and be used to resolve a conflict within the workplace.
5. Discrimination and bias in the workplace
5.1 Bias and discrimination are acts of social exclusion and can cause psychological harm.. List three (3) strategies you could use to address and eliminate discrimination and bias in the workplace and enhance workplace relationships.
This is a 15 minute presentation (this includes preparation and question time)
Remember the poster should be:
? Presented by both students and
? Informative and creative with graphics, and
? Visually well-constructed and effective in communicating information to the viewers.
The poster project & presentation will be assessed using the marking guide. This is an individual assessment.
Poster project and Presentation marking guide
Overall Appearance & Layout of Material
• Relevant images, graphics & other visual elements
• Support ideas presented in the poster/slide show 15%
• Introduced themselves and topic
• The student was well prepared
• The presentation followed a clear and logical sequence
• Easy to read
• Visual appearance, creative and interesting
• Speaks clearly and audibly 15%
• Information presented was relevant and accurate.
• Evidence of research and preparation
• Comprehensive & addresses all the requirements 45%
Sentence & Grammar
• Clearly conveys concepts
• Spelling grammar, punctuation and logical structure 5%
Research, Reading & Referencing
• Evidence of research and variety of sources
• Appropriate referencing 5%
• The student paced themselves appropriately. 5%
• The presentation was engaging and encouraged active involvement of the class 5%
• The answers to questions helped the rest of the class to clearly understand the presentation 5%