Information Sciences Research Methodology PG (6797)
Presentation: Research Design and Evaluation
Due Weeks 11, 12 and 13: In class
Value - 20%
The purpose of this presentation is to present and write up the research design of your own thesis or research paper that you have done is Assignment 2.
The following topics must be covered in the assessment. You should include evidence from relevant literature to support your arguments when possible.
An oral presentation of 5-10 minutes and Q&A of 5-10 minutes worth 20% of unit marks during weekly seminar in weeks 11-13 (see unit website for schedule)
You will be required to present a summary of your progress to the class. You may use Power Point if you wish but no more than 10 slides. Please provide a handout of your presentation to your marker. The presentation will take somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes and will be discussed afterwards for critical feedback. Be prepared for questions from other students and from your lecturer at the end of your presentation.
The lecturer will be evaluating cohesion of the presentation structure, clarity of delivery style, ability to communicate with the audience, and very importantly, the content of the presentation.
You may use the below as a guideline for your presentation:
1. A summary of your literature review that positions your proposed study within existing research and identifies a gap
2. Your research problem/question/hypothesis. What you expect to find out. Why your study is significant.
3. The theory you intend to use and its role in your study
4. The research strategy and methods selected (i.e. how you will carry out your study and why it is appropriate)
5. The contributions of your study to theory and practice. Explain the limitations of the study (this may suggest future research)
6. The rigour, relevance and possible impact of your study
7. Any additional topics such as ethics, quality, methodology and/or potential difficulties
Please note that these topics have been covered in weekly seminars and that recommended readings will guide your answers.
1. The assignment should be organised using the following guidelines:
? The cover sheet must identify the student (name and number) and assignment.
? The assignment is expected to be written essay style and to have the following components: abstract, introduction, main section, conclusion and reference section.
? Reference sources must be cited in the text, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list in an accepted referencing style.
? The assignment must use 12 point font size minimum and at least single line spacing with appropriate section headings.
? The abstract and reference list are not included in the word count.
2. The assignment must be submitted via the Moodle Submission Link
Extensions: Requests for an extension, accompanied by supporting documentation, must be received by the convenor in writing before the due date else penalties apply for late submission without an approved extension.
Penalties: Academic misconduct such as cheating and plagiarism may incur penalties ranging from a reduced result to program exclusion.