Assessment Value: 20%
1. This assignment is to be submitted in accordance with assessment policy
stated in the Subject Outline and Student Handbook.
2. It is the responsibility of the student who is submitting the work, to ensure
that the work is in fact her/his own work. Incorporating another’s work or ideas
into one’s own work without appropriate acknowledgement is an academic
offence. Students can submit all assignments for plagiarism checking (selfcheck)
on Blackboard before final submission in the subject. For further
details, please refer to the Subject Outline and Student Handbook.
3. Maximum marks available: 20 marks.
4. Due date of submission: Friday Week 8
5. Assignment should be of 2,000 words. Please use “wordcount” and include
Guidelines for Literature Critiques
Students must submit a critique of assigned academic article deemed to be
seminal to their main area of research. Details about the format, structure
and assessment criteria for the critique are presented below. Remember that
the critique is due in end of weeks 6.
FORMAT: 2000 words (maximum)
The critique submission should be typed. Work should be double-spaced with
HI5025 Accounting Standard and Theory
TRIMESTER 1, 2015
a 2.4cm margin on all sides. Use only one side of each sheet of paper.
While there is room for being innovative, most critiques should include the
• Cover Page
• Introduction: Introducing the topic, stating the aims of the critique,
outlining the main argument to be presented and an overview of the
paper and the structure of the paper to follow.
• Summary of the Article: Focusing on its main argument, including its
aims, its overall findings and its theoretical arguments and contribution.
• Research Question: Identifying the article’s research question(s) or
hypotheses and discussing its value, explaining whether and how it
flowed from the literature review.
• Theoretical Framework: Identifying and discussing the theoretical
framework or theoretical substance of the paper leading to the research
• The Significance and Limitations of the Article: Use the literature to
discuss the limitations of the theory and methodology used. Does the
author acknowledge these limitations? Does the author draw theoretical
conclusions from the research that are justified by the methodology?
How do these limitations affect the significance of the article and the
contribution it makes to the discipline, particularly the findings set against
the research method?
• Conclusions: Summarising the main points and drawing implications of
Marking Guidelines for the Literature Review Critique
Assessment Criteria Value
Identification and discussion of the theory and concepts relevant to
the selected article
Analysis and demonstrated level of understanding of key issues and
theory presented in the article 6
Identification and analysis of strengths and weaknesses of the
article leading to conclusive identification of the article’s contribution 6
to research area
Logical sequence of the development and quality of the presentation
of the critique
Note: For your own protection and peace of mind, ensure that you keep a
copy of any assessment items that you submit. Also be very mindful that
plagiarism is regarded very seriously and students who plagiarise risk
failure. Plagiarism is the act of taking and using another's work as one's