Assessment item 1—Assignment 1 Specifications
Due date: Week 6 Friday (24-Apr-2015) 05:00 PM AEST
All students are to submit electronically – max file size is
Refer to individual section requirements
This assessment item relates to course learning outcomes numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4 as stated on the course profile.
Assignment 1: You are to write a report on Big Data Technology and services based on the given Case study for PART A: Alana’s Retail Clothing House (ARCH). For Part B you can choose research any organization using Big Data Solutions. You can do online research to find the organizations who are involved in Big Data Solutions. Your report should address
1. What Big Data is, and the difference between Online and Offline Big Data
2. How to select the right Big Data application for your business, project and desired outcomes.
3. What are technologies available in Big Data?
4. Business Impact of Big Data
5. Organizational Impact of Big Data
Part A (maximum 1000 words) (20%)
This part emphasizes on the use of Big Data and its applications. Students are required to demonstrate research in the area of Big Data and its solutions.
Over the past several years the retail sector has been bombarded with challenges. Brick-and Mortar stores have closed in record numbers and continue to do so. Indeed virtually every member of the entire industry is at high risk. They are vexed by several threats ranging from increased competition from online super-shopper sites such as Amazon to a plethora of more brand-specific problems, such as lack of differentiators, pricing pressures, muddled marketing messaging, poor businesses processes, online pricing/brand comparison sites, customer reviews on their own websites, vulnerability to customer social messaging, and an overall disconnection with buying public. One of the retail sectors is Alana’s Retail Clothing House (ARCH). ARCH former strategies in merchandising, merchandise selection, pricing models, customer service, and marketing are no longer working as effectively as they have in the past. They are planning to introduce a new product into the market. However, in recent times the company has made some bad investment decisions which in turn have impacted their profit bottom line. Thus the senior management requires a thorough analysis of every new product that is introduced to the market. As a senior Data analyst, you have been appointed to advise the senior management on the feasibility of the new product.
Your task is to suggest ways how Big Data Solutions can help Alana’s Retail Clothing House. You need to write a report to the senior management on Product selection and pricing, using Big Data to develop new pricing models, to find better ways to get more, better, and cleaner customer data which can help profitability.
PART B: (maximum 1000 words) (15%)
You are required to select and examine an existing company that is currently using business intelligence and decision support systems using Big Data as part of its business strategy. In order for you to meet the requirements of this Part B, you need to answer the following questions:
1. Discuss in detail what kind of Big Data online or offline is being used for the business. How the organization of chose the right Big Data application for their business.
2. Discuss in detail what Big Data tools and techniques are used by the organization to support its business operations or processes. Provide examples on how those tools and techniques are used in the organization.
3. What improvements/enhancements can be observed from this company as compared to other companies within the same industry when using Big data? What are the Business and Organizational impact using Big Data?
4. How do you think Big Data solutions provide values to business intelligence to your chosen company and its customers?
5. What are the main factors that influence the success of business intelligence in the company?
You need to use at least three (5) academic references in your analysis.
Submission of Assessments
The assignment is to be submitted as one files using the electronic assignment submission system that can be accessed from the link on the course website.